I checked out the Theravada Buddhists and what I found was very interesting. It appears that Theravada Buddhism is the oldest surrviving Buddhist school. Older even than Christianity as it was developed in the time of the Third Buddhist Council, around 250 B.C.. As most Buddhist sects, they believe in reincarnation based on karma, and follow the eight-fold path and the Four Noble Truths. They have no real deities other then Buddha, the fully enlightened one. Contrary to western belief Buddha is not a god. He is a man, but a man who has reached the ultimate objective of Theravada Buddhism, which is Nirhvana. As such he is admired and emulated, but not worshipped. The Theravada , translated literally into Elder Ones, agree with science in every respect. They do not have stories that explain things like the origin of the universe or the origin of life.
I agree with much of what they do. I do not believe in an ultimate deity, and I let science explain the origins of the universe. I do believe that Buddha was a great man, however I do not belief in a cycle of reincarnation as the Theravada do. Karma and the eightfold path are just society's way to control the populace. Much of this religions teachings do fit my worldveiw, but they are still just a system used to control the people. You wont find me hanging out at a monastery any time soon.
Saturday, September 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment